Friday, October 19, 2012

You call it November, we call it No-can-ber!

Challenge: Kick the can and make food from scratch this November!



On New Year's Day, my husband and I made our new year's resolution: avoid canned foods. Why? We thought this would be a fun challenge to start making more items from scratch (especially intimidating beans!) and a great way to help us avoid our exposure to BPA.  11 months later, and we've  done a great job sticking to our resolution.  It really has ended up being much easier than we ever anticipated.  The only slip ups we had was the occasional canned tuna. But, last month, I made tuna salad from scratch (pretty proud of myself!) so we are completely canned good free now!

Over the past year, we realized how easy it really is to avoid canned foods when you're determined. Once you make beans, pasta sauce, and tuna from scratch, you'll never want to go back to the canned version.  Fresh really does taste better. That's why we thought it would be a fun challenge to open up to our fans!  I feel like November is often associated with canned foods because of Thanksgiving dinner, so this was the perfect month to get going on the challenge.  Plus, I thought No-can-ber was just too catchy not to use haha.

Throughout the month I will be posting recipes I have used that don't require canned food (and yes, these recipes have their easier canned good version, but the no-can way is better!).  Do you have any no-can recipes you'd like to share with everyone?  Email me your recipe at hello@liveESP.com and I'll try to test it out and post it for others to enjoy as well.

Come take the No-Can-Ber challenge with us! Share this post with your friends so they can join in too :).

What is BPA? Find out more here!
blog comments powered by Disqus