Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Cinnamon Kissed Cranberry Sauce - Homemade and Can-Free!

Cranberry sauce is on the list of my dad's must-haves at Thanksgiving table.  When I was younger, the only "cranberry sauce" I ever had was the kind in a can, which I now realize is why I never used to like it.  A few years ago, I started making it from scratch for Thanksgiving, and that's when I joined my dad on team cranberry sauce.  Using fresh whole cranberries gives cranberry sauce such a great texture (unlike the jellied roll) and strong, sweet flavor with just the right amount of tart.  Below is my cranberry sauce recipe with a slight twist...adding cinnamon and a dash of cloves!  What do you add to your homemade cranberry sauce?


Makes about 2 cups of cranberry sauce.

Ingredients:

  • 12 ounces fresh organic cranberries (can use frozen too)
  • 1 cup organic orange juice
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • pinch of ground cloves

Directions:
  1. Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring them to a boil, stirring often.
  2. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until many of the cranberries have burst.  Stir every once in a while...this should take between 12 and 15 minutes.
  3. Remove saucepan from stove and allow cranberry sauce to cool in the pan. Once cool, transfer to another container, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve!
*While the sauce may be soupy in texture at first, it will thicken while it's in the fridge.

~ Hannah
blog comments powered by Disqus