Makes about 4 servings.
Choose organic ingredients where possible, and if you have fresh herbs, use those! I just use what I have on hand, which is usually dried.
- 8-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 pound chicken breast (if you have one with skin and bones, it gives the broth the most flavor!)
- 2 whole carrots, peeled
- 3 celery stalks (if you have the little leaves on top, they add good flavor to the broth so keep them!)
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 1 clove garlic, mashed (or use minced if you don't have fresh garlic on hand)
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme (separate into 1/2 and 1/4 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Slice 1/2 of a carrot stick, 1/2 of a celery stalk, and 1/2 medium onion.
- Place 8-1/2 cups of fresh water in a large pot. Add the chicken breast, and the veggies you sliced in step 1. Add garlic, bay leaf, basil, 1/2 tsp thyme, parsley, and 1/2 tsp sea salt to the large pot of water.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil then simmer for about 40 minutes (making sure the chicken cooks fully!).
- When broth is ready, carefully remove the chicken breast and place it in a bowl to cool.
- Strain the broth into a large bowl and discard the veggies and bay leaf.
- Return the broth to the large pot and skim off any fat on top.
- While chicken is cooling, cook the noodles.
- While pasta is cooking, dice remaining carrots, celery and onion and place in a medium sized pot. Cover with some of the broth you made and simmer veggies until they are tender (about 15 minutes or so).
- When noodles are ready, drain water and place noodles in large pot of chicken broth.
- When veggies are ready, pour cooked veggies and broth they were cooking in into the large pot of broth.
- When the chicken is cool, shred the meat and add to the large pot.
- Stir ingredients in large pot and add 1/4 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp oregano and sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat up soup and serve!