Monday, December 3, 2012

Guest Post: Totally Bamboo Cutting Board Review + Loaded Vegetable Soup Recipe


When Hannah asked me to review a cutting board from Totally Bamboo, I was super excited to use the cutting board in my Loaded Vegetable Soup recipe that requires quite a bit of chopping! First, I will tell you about my experience with the cutting board, and then I will share the recipe with you.


Bamboo is a great choice for cutting boards, for a number of reasons. Bamboo is a 100% renewable (and abundant!) resource that is naturally grown.  It is a naturally hard and dense wood, making it a perfect choice for cutting boards and other utensils.

Totally Bamboo decided to capitalize on bamboo as the new “green” choice for cutting boards, utensils, and a variety of kitchen supplies.  After harvest, bamboo does not need to be replanted due to its extensive root system. Instead, it multiplies “as is,” which is one of the reasons it qualifies as a superior “green” product!

In addition to harvesting the bamboo, Totally Bamboo developed a top notch, non-toxic glue to be used on the cutting boards. They also do not use any artificial dyes or stains to color their boards, so what you see is an all-natural bamboo cutting board! With all the precautions I take in sourcing my food (local, organic, sustainable), it is a relief to know that the board that I prepare my food on is also toxin free!

Caring for Totally Bamboo products is simple. Hand wash only to preserve the natural wood (although some Totally Bamboo products are dishwasher safe, I always hand wash my cutting boards).  No oiling or other special chemicals required!

Using the Cutting Board

I have to confess that I have actually been using a Totally Bamboo brand cutting board for almost two years! I received one as a wedding shower gift and have been using it daily (sometimes multiple times per day) ever since. I love its thin size, easy care, and stability.



In the recipe below, I chopped many, many vegetables. I never had a problem with my knife slipping or the board moving (something I used to experience with plastic cutting boards), and the vegetables were easily pushed into the stockpot for soup. I really can’t say enough good things about this cutting board - it is truly a staple in my real food kitchen!



Loaded Vegetable Soup

I am always looking for new ways to incorporate more vegetables into my family’s diet. This Loaded Vegetable Soup does just that! Be warned: this makes a lot of soup. About 8-10 servings (at least)! It would be perfect for a potluck, family dinner, or to take to a new mom who just had a baby. It freezes beautifully and is perfect for a chilly winter day.

1 T. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 leek, white and light green parts only, sliced thin
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 pints of beef or chicken stock
1 medium head broccoli
24 oz. strained tomatoes
2 medium zucchinis, sliced
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
½ c. frozen corn
1 c. cooked brown rice (or barley or quinoa)
1-2 tsp. salt
1 T. Italian seasoning
¼ tsp. cumin
1 tsp. smoked paprika
Raw Parmesan cheese, optional

In a large stockpot, add olive oil, onion, garlic, leeks, and carrots over medium heat.  Sauté for approximately 4-5 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add stock and broccoli. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes more. Serve warm, garnish with Parmesan cheese.

Jill Marks is the editor of Modern Alternative Kitchen.  Jill has been on a real food journey for the last year and am passionate about food.  She is a Jesus-loving, Bible-reading, kombucha-brewing, raw milk–drinking, real food–eating gal.  For more information about a real food diet and way of life, head over to the website, or find us on Facebook and Twitter.  
blog comments powered by Disqus