Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Date Syrup & Raisin Muffins

After making a pretty decent amount of Medjool date syrup, I went on the hunt to find uses for it! I stumbled across a Date Syrup & Raisin Muffins recipe that I tweaked to make it my own. This was the first time I had ever baked something that was sweetened naturally with fruit!  And for a no-sugar-added muffin, I say they were pretty darn good.  Definitely not the dessert-type muffin but more like a breakfast muffin that will hit the spot on your way out the door in the morning.

When making these muffins, I used vegetable oil in this first batch, but I think next time I will try applesauce for a healthier version.  Also, I used my stand-alone paper cupcake cups (I had a bunch leftover from the snowman ones I had over the holidays) that are free from PTFE, PFCs and made from natural, eco-friendly paper! They are grease proof, have no silicone or coating of any kind, use food-safe inks, and are chemical free.  All I had to do was fill them with muffin batter and set them right on top of my stainless steel cookie sheet.


And twenty or so minutes later, they came out perfect! The cupcake cups held so well, and the muffins came out like they were baked in a muffin tin.  Pretty neat.




I let them cool for ohhhh about 30 seconds because I couldn't wait to taste them!  The raisins and date syrup were a perfect combination.  My husband had two, and liked the muffin a little more with a small piece of butter, hence the photo below.


So if you have a bunch of date syrup that you want to use, bake with it! I'm sure it will go well with many recipes, but if you want to try these muffins, here's my recipe for 12 muffins:

Ingredients:
*choose organic and local where possible

  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup mild vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1-1/3 cups Medjool Date Syrup
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1-3/4 cup unbleached flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves

Directions:
  1. Preheat the over to 400 degrees.
  2. Line a 12-muffin tin with paper liners (or use the stand-up paper cups like me!)
  3. In a large bowl, mix eggs, oil, vanilla extract, date syrup, and raisins.
  4. In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. 
  5. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
  6. Remove from rack and cool.
Do you have any recipes where you use date syrup as a sweetener? Please send them my way! I'd love to try them.

Enjoy!
Hannah
blog comments powered by Disqus