Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Extreme Makeover: Leftovers Edition ~ Steamed Broccoli turned Broccoli Cheddar Bites

Another great leftover steamed broccoli recipe! The same day I made my Broccoli Parmesan Fritters, I made another batch of these Broccoli Cheddar Bites.  We had A LOT of leftover broccoli at my parent's house from the previous week. And by giving leftover steamed broccoli a makeover, all the broccoli was gone in one meal (it was a little over a pound of broccoli).  It would have likely gone to waste had I not come to the rescue!  These bites look almost the same as the fritters, but they are baked in the oven and taste completely different.  Again, ingredients are most likely in your pantry already--except for the cheddar cheese.

Fresh out of the oven!
Ready to devour...
As mentioned with previous Makeover recipes, the ingredients can be adjusted and changed based on how many leftovers you have and what you have on hand!

Ingredients:
*choose organic and local where possible

  • 2 cups steamed leftover steamed broccoli, chopped
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used a mild white cheddar)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 cup seasoned Italian breadcrumbs (I didn't have Italian breadcrumbs on hand, but I had a little bit of plain breadcrumbs available. I did a slight mixture of breadcrumbs and unbleached all-purpose flour to reach 1/3 cup...the bites came out more than fine.  I also added Italian seasoning for the "Italian" part)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
  3. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well combined. 
  4. With your hand, form small patties and line them on the parchment lined baking sheet.
  5. Bake for 25-30 minutes in the oven (depending on how crispy you want these bites). After 15 minutes of baking, flip the bites and continue baking.
Looking forward to the next leftovers makeover,
Hannah
blog comments powered by Disqus