Instead, broccoli can be made into so many great new recipes, and simple ones at that (I like to keep it simple, ALWAYS). Today, I am sharing with you my Broccoli Parmesan Fritters recipe. It calls for ingredients found in everyone's kitchen....all the time! All you need is leftover broccoli, but I'm assuming that's why you stopped by this post.
*choose organic and local where possible of course!
- 3 cups leftover steamed broccoli, chopped
- 1 large organic egg
- 1/2 cup un-bleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 small onion, chopped (this may be the one ingredient you need to go out and get, but if you don't have an onion on hand, it won't ruin the fritters!)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- A pinch of red pepper flakes (I like it spicy, so my pinch is usually a mini-grab)
- Black pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Place chopped broccoli in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg. Then add all the rest of the ingredients and combine.
- Add the mixture in #2 to the big bowl of broccoli. Stir to combine and mash the broccoli, but not too much! You still want some chunks of broccoli in there, but the mashing allows the fritters to stick a little better.
- Heat a stainless steel skillet over low/medium heat. Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When the oil is hot, add heaping tablespoons of the broccoli mixture to the pan and flatten slightly with the back of a spoon. Fry fritters on 2-3 minutes on each side (or at least until browned and a tad bit crispy). Repeat with the rest of the mixture!
These were so delicious, and if you have fussy-broccoli eaters, I think these may do the trick!
Looking forward to the next makeover,