Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Extreme Makeover: Leftovers Edition ~ Cooked Chicken Breast turned Fruity Curry Chicken Salad

Growing up, weeknight dinners usually consisted of some sort of chicken variation, so leftover chicken was always sitting in the fridge. The great thing about chicken leftovers is that it makes for great chicken salads! Below is my recipe for Fruity Curry Chicken Salad. My mom drools over a great chicken salad, and this is by far her favorite!  It's easy to modify based on the ingredients you have on hand...and yes, you will likely have almost all the ingredients this recipe calls for.  The key is to at least have leftover chicken and curry powder.  I've also made this so many times and used all types of seasoned leftover chicken. It's all good :)



The quantities below can be modified, of course!

Ingredients:
*choose organic and local where possible

  • About a pound of leftover chicken, diced
  • 1 stalk celery, diced
  • 1 golden delicious apple, peeled, cored, and diced (I've used other varieties and it's just as good)
  • 1/2 cup raisins or craisins (or both! I used both in my last batch)
  • 1/2 cup seedless grames, halved (didn't have them last time and it was still delicious)
  • black pepper and salt to taste (this depends on the chicken...if it's already salty enough, definitely skip this step)
  • 1/2 tsp curry powder (I always guesstimate on this amount and just taste as I go)
  • 3/4 cup light mayo or less depending on the consistency you like (I've never tried plain yogurt, but I can imagine it's great!)
  • handful of swiss cheese (optional, but added it this last go around and it was a hit)
Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. For best flavor, let the chicken salad sit over night, but if you're hungry, DIG IN!
Looking forward to the next makeover,
Hannah
blog comments powered by Disqus